Skip to Main Content
Minuteman/GRFD (Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty) Scholarship
- Minuteman (4, 3, or 2 Year Scholarships): The four-year National Guard (NG) and Reserve option was initiated in 2015. There are limited allocations (4) per state and USAR Major Subordinate Command (MSC) and are awarded to the best qualified applicants. Although these scholarships were designed for soldiers currently serving in NG or Reserve units they can be awarded to candidates that are willing to serve once the scholarship is offered.
- Two-Year and Three-Year GRFD Scholarships: The Two and Three-years GRFD scholarship can be awarded to soldiers currently serving in NG / Reserve units or an ROTC candidate willing to serve in the NG / Reserves while in school and after commissioning as an officer.
- Steps to follow for consideration of the GRFD scholarship:
- Complete the “”ROTC Contracting Packet” and submit to your ROTC classroom instructor or ROTC recruiting officer.
- Receive a nomination letter from your current NG/Reserve commander; those not currently serving must work through a local NG/Reserve recruiter to identify a unit commander is willing to accept them as a Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) candidate. A specific formatted letter is required for reserve soldiers (Letter of Acceptance).
- National Guard Recruiter: SSG Rickey Dixon (704) 942-5720 or (704) 344-2391 Extension 4564
- Reserve Recruiter: SFC Byron R. Banks (704)593-0214
- Receive a signed SMP agreement from your respective unit commander.
- Complete the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) and Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB) medical examinations; you must be qualified for both.
- Conduct a scholarship interview with the ROTC Recruiting Officer. Upon completion your file will be reviewed and presented before a scholarship board.If approved an application will be submitted to the 4th ROTC Brigade Commander for verification. The Commander of U.S. Army Cadet Command is the final approving authority for the ROTC scholarship.
- Once approved the Cadet will sign the ROTC scholarship contract (DA form 597-1) and Enlistment contract (DD 4/1 & 4/2).